Friday, April 15, 2011

A Foggy NJT Early Afternoon

After [finally] getting a chance to sleep in and sending Miranda off to class on Wednesday, I decided to take advantage of the fog resulting from Tuesday's rain/thunderstorms. I got to my truck and checked Departure Vision to see when the next train either direction from Long Branch would be. To Bay Head...at...11:30. *Looks at clock* 11:27!!! I took off for the Cedar Ave. crossing which is less than a mile from the visitor parking lot. I got my camera ready and took some practice shots before hearing horns for the Bath Ave. crossing just west of the station. From Cedar Ave. you can usually see all the way to the bend at Bath Ave. but not today. I didn't get a good view of the PL42 leader until he was almost on top of the Brighton Ave. crossing.

 Not completely satisfied, I checked Departure Vision again and saw a northbound would be leaving in about 15 minutes. I drove past the station and saw the engine was on the south end and decided to go north and try to find something blooming. I noticed that a northbound and southbound would almost meet at the Little Silver so that would be my target location especially since I had never shot there before. I only had a few minutes to spare before the northbound would catch up to me when I saw a tree blooming at the south end of the platform. I missed the turn for the station parking lot so I was going to go around the block. I pulled up to the Shrewsbury Ave. light when it was red. Sitting...sitting...finally the "NO LEFT TURN" sign lit up. Crap! I knew what this meant, yup, lights start flashing and the gates go down. Like an idiot, I continued to sit in the left turn lane. Finally, I realized no one was behind me so I backed up to the entrance to the lot and swung into one of the 15 minute parking spots (thank you, NJT, those are really convenient!), grabbed my camera and hurried to the end of the platform. They started rolling just as I got past the engine and only had a few seconds to rattle off a few shots.


I started walking up the platform to find an angle that worked for the southbound due in 3 minutes. I had only gone a few yards when the gates went down again. I was going to just watch but I scrambled for a grab shot. I went for a blur because of the fence with focus on the classy New Jersey Transit Corp. bench.


I called it a day after that needing to get home to pack for a one day blowout on the Magnolia Cutoff the following day!

No comments:

Post a Comment