Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Route 615/522 Crossing Replacement

After checking Browns Yard and seeing that both usual geeps (NS 5277 and CSXT 4431) were missing, Sean and I decided to follow the line down to Jamesburg and then over to Freehold to see if we could intercept SA31 heading down the Freehold Industrial Track (FIT). As we got to the junction in Jamesburg, I noticed a Conrail truck sitting on the Amboy Sec. as we turned off of Mott Ave. When we got to the stop sign at Route 615, it was pretty clear why. ROAD CLOSED. They had the crossing across the Rte 522/Rte 615 intersection closed to put in new concrete crossing panels and new rail.


They have already replaced the rail leading up to the crossing to the east and put in the new crossing panels and rail up to the west edge of it. As I shot from the end road on the north leg of the wye, a worker informed me that the interesting work would be done tomorrow when they rip out the switch and rest of the north leg and replace it with new rail seen below.


With that information and my obsession with track work, I'll be taking a trip back in the morning to watch the new switch and rail go into place. When I finally get around to doing a photo guide or gallery on the Conrail lines around the area, I can do an entire segment on the track work done on all the lines in the past three years or at least before and after photos of all the crossings and new tie work.

Here are the rest of the photos I took of the crossing/track work. More to come tomorrow hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment