Sunday, September 23, 2012

Last Day of Summer Outing

After 9 straight days of sitting at home except for trips to the store, I decided I needed to get out for a few hours yesterday. I realized that I haven't actually shot much orange since moving to BNSF country because I would only go out if I knew a Warbonnet was leading or if the West Texas & Lubbock was on the Slaton Sub. As usual, I went to Canyon Jct. to see if there was anything ready to head west on the Slaton or east on the Plainview. The SLAAMS train (Slaton, TX to Amarillo (South), TX) was talking to the dispatcher on the south side of town. "BNSF 786" Seriously?! Even though I was looking for orange, I would take another Warbonnet for my collection. They had work to do in the yard and the light hadn't gotten far enough around for any good shots so I decided to do some exploring. I ventured to the west side of the yard to see if there was any accessibility. Much to my surprise, I was able to drive right by the ex-ATSF passenger station, which is now the yard office. Also to my surprise, a "BNSF 998" was now talking to the dispatcher and the SLAAMS. I continued driving up and down different roads until I saw him pull up to the yard office and stop to get permission past the track foreman's limits at Canyon Jct. I found a spot at the intersection of Avenue F and 9th Street where I could shoot them departing.


I drove back to Canyon Jct. to see what the SLAAMS was up to. It wasn't much of a wait until he would ask the dispatcher for permission past the signal to double his train, which was granted before the afternoon locals would be in the picture. I walked up onto the Avenue Q overpass for my first shots from the vantage point.


I hung out on the bridge as they reversed back to the rest of the train in the yard. I could hear the local making its way towards the junction. A minute later the "201 local" popped out from under the overpass with two SD40-2s on the point. 


Once they were in the clear, it was the "342's" turn. I saw the caboose appear from behind BNSF 786 and stop at the switch for the industrial track that heads east across 3rd Street. I quickly ran back to the car to get into position for them heading over the wooden trestle accessible from the public parks off of Avenue K. Unfortunately, the angle I chose wasn't too appealing but as [lack of] luck would have it, I would get an error message as my camera recorded the images. I had to take out the battery to get the camera to reset and lost the photos. This is a future angle to try when I catch them on the branch again.


I checked the map and found where the Purina mill was that they would be working. While they switched the mill, I drove down a bit to shoot the current end of track.


The industrial track was originally built as the Crosbyton-Southplains Railroad from Lubbock to Crosbyton in 1911. It would be purchased by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (ATSF) in 1915. The line would be owned by the ATSF until 1989, when it was sold to the Crosbyton Railroad. They began operation in January 1990 but wouldn't even survive a full year. The line was abandoned shortly after. Today, BNSF uses a mile and half of the line to reach Purina.

I sat watching the SD40-2/GP39-2 duo go back and forth until I heard BNSF 786 getting their track warrant for the Plainview Sub. I drove back to Canyon Junction and barely made it back before they got the signal.



Once the head-end was under the bridge, it was back to the car and back to the mill to shoot the local. Just west of the mill is a bridge over Ash Ave. that is still lettered "Santa Fe". They kept pulling out onto the bridge as they got the last of the cars in order allowing for different angles.



Finally, I moved my truck into position for their departure and didn't have to wait long.


I had found a cool spot on my way back to Canyon Jct. on the branch where the tracks cross I-27.



I made it back to the 1st Street crossing with plenty of time to spare. This area is pretty cool because the line is surrounded by public park land as is the case here with Pallottine Park.


Less than a quarter mile later, the branch, basically running in people's backyards, rejoins the mainline.

That would do it for me as I started making my way back home only to get caught at the Avenue P crossing at Canyon Jct. for an eastbound intermodal. One last shot out the driver window of the DPU as I went across would officially end my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment